MASTER OF FINE ARTS: FILM PRODUCTION
Ohio University. Athens, Ohio
Thesis: Corcovado, experimental/narrative, live-action, 16mm, 12:34
Graduated August 1999
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE: GEOGRAPHY
James Madison University. Harrisonburg, Virginia
Graduated May 1995
TEACHING & RESEARCH INTERESTS
FILM, VIDEO, ANIMATION: Narrative and experimental forms. Alternatives to mainstream conventions and aesthetics. Linear and interactive forms utilizing combined elements of animation, live-action, still image, traditional and digital formats. Manipulation of genre and expectation. Communication with the moving image stemming from a combination of fine art and cinema perspectives.
EXHIBITION & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: Organizing and promoting venues for alternatives to mainstream media from independent, local, regional and global artists. SoDak Animation Festival/SoDak Motion (SD), Port City Animation Festival, Film Nite (NC)
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ANIMATION AND FILM
School of Design, South Dakota State University. Brookings, SD
2007 - present.
Responsibilities include teaching animation and film studies coursework, coordinator of film studies minor. Committee responsibilities include curriculum development, recruiting and retention, NASAD accreditation, University Quality Initiative on Assessment.
Courses Taught: Film as Art
Animation Foundations I
Animation Foundations II
Motion Graphics/Design Media I & II
Drawing I & II
Travel Studies: Ottawa International Animation Festival
Practicum: Design Systems
Courses In-Development: Experimental Film & Video Making
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF DIGITAL ARTS
Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Myrtle Beach, SC 2006-2007
Responsibilities included teaching 5 courses per semester, developing curricula and promoting dual-track program that emphasized video production and digital arts. Special duties included establishment and development of on-campus multi-use studio facility.
LEAD FACULTY & ASSISTANT ACADEMIC DRIECTOR OF MEDIA ARTS & ANIMATION
The Art Institute of Washington, Arlington, VA
Duties include teaching 3 courses per quarter with activity in curricula development, student advising, developing and implementing portfolio review process, and assisting in final portfolio shows. Courses taught in areas of video production, post-production, and animation.
LECTURER IN FILM STUDIES
Film Studies Department, The University of North Carolina. Wilmington, NC
2001-2003. Courses taught in video and film production.
Humanities Department and Continuing Education Department
Cape Fear Community College. Wilmington, NC
2000-2001. Courses taught in areas of video and film production.
Film & Video Technology Program, Cape Fear Community College. Wilmington, NC
Responsibilities included modifying a proposed curriculum for the Film & Video Technology Program, created equipment list and subsequent budget, researched CFCC’s use of EUE/Screen Gems’ studio space and gathered feedback on the program from the local film community. Spring 2001
Department of Film, Ohio University. Athens, OH
Courses: Introduction to Film
SELECTED FILMOGRAPHY & RELATED ACTIVITY
Infestation, animation/2D traditional/digital, 1 min, 2016
Short vignettes illustrate the challenge of eliminating certain pests.
Sound design by Mike Hallenbeck.
- River Film Festival, Padua, Italy, June 2016
- Square Lake Film & Music Festival, Stillwater, Minnesota, USA, August 2016
- The Dumbest Sh!t I Ever Saw Show, Brooklyn, New York, USA, August 2016
- MinnAnimate, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, September 2016
- Toronto Urban Film Festival, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, September 2016
- Mini Minne Film Festival, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA September 2016
- UnderGround Film Festival, Ancona, Italy, September 2016
- Manlleu Short Film Festival, Manlleu, Spain, November 2016
- Montreal Animation Film Summit, Montreal, Canada, November 2016
- Tahoe Underground Film Festival, Incline Village, Nevada, USA, November 2016
- Fargo Film Festival, Fargo, North Dakota, USA, March 2017
- Minneapolis International Film Festival, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, April 2017
- 1Minuto Festival, São polo, Brazil, April 2017 *Winner: Best Animation
- Sioux Empire Film Festival, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA, May 2017*Winner: Best Animation
White Out, animation/stop-motion, 5 min, 2015
A lone pilot is faced with isolation on a cold dark world. Music by Domenico Cimarosa and performed by Nathan Jorgensen and Mary Ermel Walker.
- Athens AnimFest, Athens, Greece, March 2015
- DC Independent Film Festival, Washington DC, USA, April 2015
- Athens International Film & Video Festival, Athens, Ohio, USA, April 2015
- Sarasota Film Festival, Sarasota, Florida, USA, April 2015
- RiverRun International Film Festival, Winston-Salem, NC, USA, April 2015
- Animaze: Montreal International Animation Festival, Montreal, Canada, April 2015
- Sidewalk Film Festival, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, August 2015
- Anibar International Animation Festival, Peja, Kosovo, August 2015
- MinnAnimate IV, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, September 2015
- INSANE Animation Film Festival, Malmo, Sweden, September 2015
- Portland Film Festival, Portland, Oregon, USA, September 2015
- Tulsa International Animation Festival, Oklahoma, USA October 2015
- International Peace & Film Festival, Orlando, Florida, USA, November 2015
- Cucalorus Film Festival, Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, November 2015
- St. Cloud Film Festival, St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA, November 2015 *Winner: Best Animation
- MUMIA Animation Festival, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, December 2015
- Maryland International Kids Film Fest, Frederick, Maryland, USA, January 2016
- ANIMAC International Animation Festival, Lleida, Spain, February 2016
- BUFF International Film Festival for Kids and Youth, Malmo, Sweden, March 2016
- Sioux Empire Film Festival, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, April 2016
- New Hampshire Film Festival, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA, October 2016
- Manlleu Short Film Festival, Manlleu, Spain, November 2016
- International Children’s Film Festival Brussels, Belgium, November 2016
- Fargo Film Festival, Fargo, North Dakota, USA, March 2017 *Honorable Mention
- ReAnima Festival, Bergen Norway, September 2017
An Evening with Harvey Dunn’s Feminine Images, 2013-2015
A multidisciplinary live performance based on selected paintings by South Dakota artist Harvey Dunn. Collaborators Asst. Prof. Darla Bielfeldt (English), Asst. Prof. Aaron Ragsdale (Music), Lynn Verschoor (South Dakota Art Museum), Melissa Hauschild-Mork (Comm Studies/Theater), Professor Corey Shelsta (Comm Studies/Theater), Lowell Haag (Journalism).
· Performing Arts Center, Brookings, South Dakota, Spring 2014
· South Dakota Public Television, Spring 2015
The Uncle Mike Show, live-action/animation, 6.5 min, 2012
An unfortunate host of a cable access show is tormented by the wishes of the show sponsor.
· MinnAnimate, Minneapolis, MN, USA, September 2013
· Boston Underground Film Festival, Boston, MA, USA, March 2013
· PollyGrind Film Festival, Las Vegas, NV, USA, October 2012 * Winner: Best Television Show/Webisode
· SoDak Animation Festival, Brookings, SD, USA, October 2012
Look to the Sea, animation, 3.4 min, 2010
Music video produced in collaboration with National Geographic Digital and the Census of Marine Life. Music by Maryann Camilleri. Producer: Jason Orfanon
· Museum of Natural History, London, UK, October 2010
· Faculty Exhibition, Ritz Gallery, Brookings, SD, January 2011
· Athens international Film & Video Festival, Athens, OH, April 2011
· Chicago International Movies and Music Festival, April, 2011
· International Wildlife Film Festival, Missoula, MT, March 2011 *Honorable Mention for Animation
· Hawai’i Ocean Film Festival, Hanalei, HI, July 2011 *Winner: Best Animation
· BLUE Ocean Film Festival, Monterey, CA, September 2012
CMYK, 3 x :05 animations, 2010
Hand-drawn animations based loosely on the concept of “CMYK”
· GreyscaleGorilla.com, July 2010 *Honorable Mention
· Faculty Exhibition, Ritz Gallery, Brookings, SD, September 2010
Beard & Moustache Experiments, nos. 1-4, experimental documentary, 12 min, 2008
A lighthearted look at the social, cultural, historical and aesthetic aspects of facial hair portrayed through a combination of live action combined with animation.
· Athens International Film & Video Festival, Athens, OH, March 2009
· Humboldt Film Festival, Humboldt, CA, May 2009
· Middle Tennessee Film and Video Festival, TN, April 2009
· Cucalorus Film Festival, Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, November 2008
· Faculty Exhibition, Ritz Gallery, Brookings, SD, September 2008
· SDSU Animation Mini-Fest, Brookings, SD, October 2008
Ancestors, short animation, 3 min, 2006
In this 2D animation, a first-time father accounts the irrational fears of tracing back his family roots.
· Citrus Cel Animation Festival, Jacksonville, FL, USA, 2009
· South Dakota Film Festival, Aberdeen, SD, USA, 2008
· Canterbury Film Festival, Canterbury, New Zealand, 2008
· Landlocked Film Festival, Iowa City, IA, USA, 2008
· Frame Damage Animation Festival, Denver, CO, USA, 2008
· North Carolina Film & Video Festival, Greensboro, NC USA, 2007 *Winner: Best Independent Animation
· 2D or Not 2D Festival, Portland, OR, USA, 2007
· Cucalorus Film Festival, Wilmington, NC, USA, 2006
· Microcinefest, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2006
SoDak Animation Festival/SoDak Motion (2016), Organizer, 2009-present
Juried festival of animation from all over the globe. The annual festival hosts guest speakers, artists, screenings, student portfolio reviews and workshops.
Port City Animation Festival, Co-organizer, 2004-2006
Non-competitive curated showcase of animated films of all kinds.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Film Nite, Co-organizer, 1999 – 2002
Monthly curated screening of short films and videos from around the world.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Cyber Bounty Hunter.com (internet series), director, videographer, editor, 2001
Baltimore, Maryland/East coast U.S., Producer: Steve Yeager
Come and Get It! , Co-producer, 2001
DVD compilation that includes over 20 short films, interviews, and extra features
Corcovado, live-action, 16mm, 12 min, 1999
Two diner patrons endure the monotony of a dreary meal. Cowboys, cavemen and lots of food.
- Rosebud Awards Festival, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, April 2000*Winner: Best in Show
- iFilm.com, alwaysi.com, 1999
- Film Nite, Mollye’s Market, Wilmington, North Carolina, October 1999
- Flicker, Cat’s Cradle, Carborro, North Carolina, November 1999
- Maryland Film Festival, Charles Theatre, Baltimore, Maryland, April 2000
- Johns Hopkins University Reel Festival, Baltimore, Maryland, April 2000
- American Film Institute, Washington DC, April 2000
- Cucalorus Film Festival, Wilmington, North Carolina, May 2000
- Maryland Public Television, 2001
- Visions Theater, Washington, DC, March 2001
- Come and Get It! DVD Compilation, 2001
- Rooftop Films, Brooklyn, New York, August 2001
Strange Encounters, live-action, 16mm, 4 min, 1997
In this mockumentary, an unsuspecting handyman recalls his encounter with otherworldly beings.
- Microcinefest, Baltimore, Maryland, November 1998
- Film Nite, Mollye’s Market, Wilmington, North Carolina, October 1997
- Flicker, Hollywood, California, November 1997
- North Carolina Public Television, October 1997
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
2017. Gold ADDY Award, South Dakota Advertising Federation, for “GM1 for HD” promotional animation, Sioux Falls, SD.
2016. Faculty Excellence Award for Outstanding Artist. College of Arts & Sciences. For collaborative work in Harvey Dunn Feminine Images Project. SD State University, Brookings, SD.
2016. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for professional development in Cinema4D (Austin, TX) $1850. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2015. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for travel to Ottawa International Animation Festival, $1800. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2015. Invited Panelist, “Communicating Science”. Entomological Society of America. Minneapolis, MN.
2014. Gold ADDY Award, South Dakota Advertising Federation, for “Bed Bugs Bite” promotional ad, :30 stop-motion animation. Sioux Falls, SD.
2014. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for production of short film “White Out”, $2000. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2014. Awarded Project Grant for production of short film “White Out”, $2000. South Dakota Arts Council.
2013. Winner - Outreach Category for Join the Resistance-Host Plant Resistance!, animated series, Entomological Society of America, Minneapolis, MN.
2013. Faculty Excellence in Engagement & Outreach Award Recipient. For efforts in SoDak Animation Festival, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2012. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for travel to Ottawa International Animation Festival. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2012. Winner - Outreach Category for Soybean Aphid Speed Scouting, animated series, Entomological Society of America. Portland, OR.
2012. Awarded “Fast-Track Challenge America” Grant for 2012 SoDak Animation Festival, $10,000. National Endowment for the Arts, Washington, D.C.
2010. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for travel to Ottawa International Animation Festival, $1250. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2009. Faculty Advisor, KAFI Cartoon Challenge, Led Student animation team to national animation competition and film festival. Kalamazoo, MI.
2009. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for travel to New York City art and graphic design visit, $1,500. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2008. William Mibra and Byrne Smith Griffith Foundation Grant for Beard & Moustache Experiments nos. 1-4, $1,500. South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
2008. Animation Workshop Instructor, Port City Animation Festival. Led presentation and workshop on animation for kids ages 6-12. Wilmington, NC.
2002. American Advertising Federation’s ADDY Awards, Gold ADDYs for Tired of Waiting? and Computer Training. Myrtle Beach, SC.
1997. John Houk Memorial Grant for Strange Encounters, $1000. Ohio University, Athens, OH.
STUDENT AWARDS, DISTINCTIONS & EXHIBITIONS
LA IN 1 (2016). Animated vignettes about pioneers of landscape architecture. Produced collaboratively by students in GDES 304 Motion Graphics. Co-producer: Associate Professor Matthew James, Landscape Architecture.
· 2017 CELA Conference (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture)
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, May 2017
Art Fair (2016). Animated promotional video, collaborative work in
ART203 Animation Foundations and GDES 304 Motion Graphics.
· South Dakota ADFed, Student Silver ADDY, Sioux Falls, SD, Feb 2017
Grackle’s Grove (2015). Short animation, Allison Pisha
- South Dakota Film Festival, Aberdeen, South Dakota, September 2016
What is Landscape Architecture? (2014). Motion graphics, ARTD304 Motion Graphics, Levi James, Nick Goswick, Jena Kloos, Amy Halgerson.
· 2016 ASLA Central States, Special Award of Merit for Animation Outreach (American Society of Landscape Architects), March 2016
· 2015 CELA Conference (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture), Manhattan, Kansas, March 2015
Landscape Architecture (2014). Motion graphics, ARTD304 Motion Graphics, Taylor Steiger, Krista Liebsch.
· 2015 CELA Conference (Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture)
Manhattan, Kansas, March 2015
School of Design (2015). Motion graphics, GDES 304 Motion Graphics, Nathan Deis, Katy Gebauer, Karen Eddy, Shealynn Burcham
· South Dakota ADFed, Student Silver ADDY, Sioux Falls, SD, Jan 2016
Trembling Dream (2015). Short animation, Akasha Winker, ARTD 403, GDES 403 Intermediate Animation, Spring 2015
· Sioux Empire Film Festival, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, April 2016
· Girona Film Festival, Girona, Spain, September 2016
· GoldenSun Short Film Festival, Zebbug, Malta, Jun, 2016
Pieces (2015). Short animation, Foster Green
- Cartoons and Bloody Marys, Seattle, Washington, USA, March 2016
The Little Snowboarder (2016). Short animation, George Ruiz
- Cartoon Club, Rimini, Italy, July 2016
- Sunnyside Shorts, NYC, New York, USA, October 2016
- Post-Mortem Short Film Fest, Aguascalientes, Mexico, October 2016
Show Reel, Animation and Motion Graphics, George Ruiz
- Juried Student Show, Ritz Gallery, South Dakota State University, May 2016
2015 Annual Report for Stakeholders, by ARTD 403 Animation students, Jordan Studanski, Krista Liebsch, George Ruiz
· Client: Brookings Chamber and Visitors Bureau, $1000 award to students, 2015
Stained Glass Portrait (2014). Experimental animation, Akasha Winker, ARTD 303 Animation II, Fall 2014
· Boston Underground Film Festival, USA March 2015
· Novella Online Showcase, June 2015
· 60 Seconds of Less Video Festival, Maryland, USA April 2015
· Student Art Festival, Florida, May 2016
· Athens AnimFest, Athens, Greece, March 2015
· Golden Reel Internat’l Underground Film Festival, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, May 2016
“24 HOURS” Animation Contest. SDSU animation teams compete online with 50+ other student teams from schools across North America and Australia to respond to a topic with a completed 30-second animation in 24 hours.
Sponsored by California State University at Long Beach. 2012-2016
Making Art Happen, promotional video created by students in ARTD304 Motion Graphics. Spring 2015. Client: Brookings Arts Council, Brookings, South Dakota
- Best in Graphic Design Award, Juried Student Show, Ritz Gallery, SDSU, May 2014
- Brookings Arts Council selection for actual marketing use
League of Littles (2014). Short animation, Mike Mazourek, Jordan Studanski, Evyn Erickson
- MinnAnimate Animation Festival, Minneapolis, MN, September 2014
SoDak Animation Festival. Promotional Collateral, Mark Wagner
· South Dakota ADFed, Best of Class and Student Best in Show ADDY, Sioux Falls, SD, Jan 2012
Kalamazoo Animation Festival International (KAFI).
· Student animation teams accepted into 2009 KAFI Cartoon Challenge.
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA, May 2009.
2008 SoDak Animation Festival. Promotional animation, Isaac Windham, Corey Beffert
· South Dakota ADFed, Student Gold ADDY, Sioux Falls, SD, Jan 2009
RELATED PROFESSIONAL FILM & ANIMATION PROJECTS
SCIENCE & EDUCATION
The Shepherd’s Gift: GM1 for HD, educational video, animated, Client: South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, May 2016
Blue Dasher Farm, promotional video materials, Client: Dr. Jon Lundgren, Blue Dasher Farm, Estelline, SD, 2015-2016. With footage by Peter Byck.
RNAi Based Insecticidal Crops: Risk Awareness, educational video, animated, Client: South Dakota State University, 2014.
Bed Bugs Bite, animated educational series for igrow.org, Client: South Dakota State University Plant Science, 2014
Bed Bugs Bite, :30 PSA, Client: South Dakota State University Plant Science, 2013
Join the Resistance-Host Plant Resistance!, animated educational series, Client: Iowa State University and South Dakota State University Plant Science, November 2013
Speed Scouting, 1 min x3, Client: South Dakota State University Plant Science, 2012
We the People, promotional video, 5 min. Client: South Dakota Humanities Council. Promotional video on educational civics material for use in high school curricula.
Daktronics Core Values, documentary, 7 min, Client: Daktronics, Inc., Company founder talks about driving principles behind Daktronics, the world leader in large-scale led displays. Brookings, South Dakota, 2008.
T.W. Schultz: Investing in People, documentary, 26 min, Client: South Dakota State University, July 2008
Coastal Habitat Protection Plans, Intro for promo video, Client: VisionQuest, Wilmington, NC, 2003
Winging Northward, Meteor, Educational Broadcasts, Client: Prince William Network, Fairfax, VA 2001-2002
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT ANIMATED PROJECTS
M.O.P.Z., (contributing animator), short film for Adult Swim/Cartoon Network, Director: Todd Rohal, April 2016
A Better Way, 30 sec x 4 commercial, Client: Morningside Plumbing, Atlanta, GA, 2008
Kizooks, Character Animation and Pitch Material, Client: Kizooks, Wilmington, NC, 2005
League of Independents, 30 sec. commercial, Cucalorus Film Festival, Wilmington, NC, 2002
Tired of Waiting?, 30 sec. commercial, Cape Fear Community College, Wilmington, NC, 2001
Wild Safari Jackass, Web Series, Executive Producer: Alwaysi.com, 2000-2001
Al Gore’s Live All-Nude Election Dance Party, Web Short, Self-produced, 2001
PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS & EXPERIENCE
Producer, Director, Animator, Killing Time Pictures, 1999 – present.
Complete animation services creating original content for web and broadcast. www.killingtimepictures.com
Multimedia Designer, Mind & Media, Inc., Alexandria, Virginia, 2004.
Responsibilities included videography and editing, as well as designing graphics and animation for industrial and corporate video content.
Makeup/Makeup FX Artist for film and television, 1997 – 2007.
Set Decorator/Propmaker, DC Metro Area, Brainbox, Inc. 2004.
Sound Studio Assistant, Ohio University, Department of Film, 1997 – 1999.
Responsibilities included assisting students and visiting artists in re-recording, audio design, and track preparation and in the mixing process in The Petersen Sound Studio. Maintenance and operation of facility which included 16/35 mag stock dubbers, 16/35 optical projectors, DA-88, Tascam and Fostex DAT recorders, Nagra analog recorders.
Freelance Grip/Production Assistant, Columbus, Ohio, 1998 - 1999.
Freelance Grip/Production Assistant, Richmond, Virginia, 1995 - 1996.
AEF (Animation Educators Forum), Member 2017-present
ASIFA (Association Internationale du Film d’Animation), Member. 2007 - present
IATSE Local 798 (International Alliance of the Theatrical Stage Employees), Makeup Artists & Hairstylists. 2000-2003.